PDA

View Full Version : a formal caddy intro

curly
13-07-2004, 04:23 AM
howdy, folks. my name is curly. i live in the st. louis, missouri area and i'm 23 years old. i'm very happy to introduce myself as a proud diesel caddy owner. i hope you don't mind a whole story. i love my truck.
my quest for a caddy began a few years ago when i learned i could run a diesel engine on waste deep frier grease[:0]. at that time i just wanted a diesel, whatever it was. i was driving a gas guzzling 6 cyl. 95 jeep cherokee which i almost traded outright for a diesel 87 ford f-150. but something was watching over me, and since the title of the jeep was in my mom's name the deal couldn't go down:).
i was looking closely at vw and mercedes diesels, as these are the easiest to convert to run on veggie oil, but i had to sell the jeep first.
one day i took the jeep in for a tune up, with the for sale sign on it. (becareful getting work done at a mechanic with a for sale sign on your car. they might try to use the price of the work being done against the price of your car.) the mechanic said i could either pay $500 for the tune up, or take $2500 cash and he keeps the car. so i took the cash;).
two months later i found my caddy posted for sale on thesamba.com. the ad said it ran great, looked great, it had 354,000+ miles on it and it was in arcata, california which happened to be the last stop on a oneway road trip i was about to take. i sent the dude a check for $850 and he deliviered it to my friend's house:D.
when i arrived to drive it, it wouldn't start:(. it took $300 of labor to determine that the diesel injection pump wasn't cuttin it at all. i found a used pump for $100 and was on my way[:p].
i then drove it to portland, oregon (where i saw a few more caddys on the streets) and back home to st. louis. my home machanic replaced an engine mount and tweeked the transmission for $65 and it drives like a charm now[8D].
i've now just ordered my greasel covnversion kit (www.greasel.com). the new tank will be custom built for my caddy's bed (12x12x46 inches), and it will hold 28 gallons of veggie oil. i'll be able to travel around 1500 miles before filling up. i hope to start a "caddies on veggie oil" forum on this site when i get her up and smelling like fried chicken.
i would post some pics but i have no host site.
thanks for y'all's support.
curly
p.s. the forum is keeping me signed in now. silly computers;).

Loz
13-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Welcome!! That is a high miler you have there! Heard of a Lexus LS400 with over a million miles on it in 9 years but THAT you can understand. 350k plus in a caddy. I bet his proctologist made a killing!

Woobn8r
14-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Welcome Curly,

We'll try to keep the "Larry and Moe" jokes to a minimum...
No really, Welcome, I just had to be the first to pop off on that, but everyone else here is great!

Good luck with your project!

Darth Garry
14-07-2004, 03:41 AM
I will host your pics if you wish. Email me.

Garry

Loz
20-07-2004, 01:27 AM
or post them here >>> http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/Misc for free! easy!!!

Middlebrooks
24-07-2004, 05:47 AM
I've looked at the Greasel conversion kits, and might be going that direction. Big$$$investment though. Let us know how this works out for you. The veggie oil forum is a great idea, lots of people are looking for Caddy's to convert, I've had people try to buy mine! Maybe I'll be able to learn from your mistakes.;)