PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, Thanks for a great Forum!

Loz
09-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Just bought my first Caddy and its all thanks to the forum as I mentioned in a previous post. found the forum and 2 hours later I was on my way home from buying my Caddy.

Loads of questions will be along shortly after I get it home tonight but for Starters:

The Axle is flipped will I still be able to put my bike in the back without it riding on the bumpstops?

it has a 1.8 mk3 single point engine with 5 speed box? are they easy to work on?

Has a Weber Carb? should I be excited or worried?

Fan has stopped working three days ago. Is this common ( fuse, dodgy connection, relay?)

Truckman Top is comming off. Can I do this home alone or do I need a mate to help carry the damn fibreglass obscenity!

Cheers,

Loz

Oh and finally, Can I get a ramp to get my bike up in there??

P4ulo
10-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Be excited about the webber carb, The pierburg it replaced are sh1te and webber is quicker too!!!!
Axle will still take a bike in the back, thats what the bumpstops are there for!!!

Al
10-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Sounds like the 1.8 ACC engine with the "Mono-Motronic" throttle body if it has the whole single point stuff, easy to work on just like the std Caddy lump, this means you will need two workshop manuals now;)

The Euro Caddy has strong springs so i dont think your bike is going to cause you any probs there:)

Your going to have to get your hands dirty to sort the fan out, its normally just the switch what packs up, but you will have to check the circuit to diagnose the fault[B)]

Unbolt the truckman and wait for a gust of wind:D J/K. You should be able to manage it on your own but its better to have two pairs of hands:)

You can buy ramps specially made for bikes & pickups made of alloy, but the are expensive at about 200, its cheaper to use a lenth of scaffold board[:p]

Jimmy
10-07-2004, 04:52 AM
ah the scaffold planks :D its like back in the day chucking the crhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/1273.gif into the back of the works van

Al
10-07-2004, 05:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jimmy

ah the scaffold planks :D its like back in the day chucking the crhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/1273.gif into the back of the works van

I have a lil story about a works van and a scaffold plank, but thats for another day;) I still have the the plank:D

Loz
10-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Cheers Guys!

I think the scaffold plank sound like a good idea! Where I can get one from is another question... ?

I have got her home now and I have given her a damn good jet washing. No offence Paul, but she was in a helluva state! now its clean and the paint that covered the side strips has all but come off. The thermostat is also packed up but I replaced this in my clipper and its no biggy. 5.82 for the part.

Gonna have the grille back on tomorrow with a good spring on the bonnet catch.

Fit the Wooden tops to the rear load area side tops. (if I can get 4 inch bolts with eye hooks then I have cracked it!!

paint over the bits that are not black after jet washing

Clean the wheels with something very potent to get the grime/paint/s**te off

try and find something (rubber/lino flooring/ply wood to cover the load floor.

Recentre the steering wheel

clean out/vac the interior

put a sleeve over the slight blow in the exhaust

See if my bike fits in the back

See what bits I can kid myself I might find at GTI Festival if I go in the caddy and take a wad of folding green backs

Loz
10-07-2004, 05:50 AM
ps. The fan is a switch problem and came back on line tonight. might need a good wd40 squirt or something...

Al
10-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Which fan did you mean[?] I interpreted it as the engine cooling fan, but reading it again it could be the heater fan[:I]

If you want rubber for the flooring, you can buy that industrial fluted stuff on a roll from ebay at reasonable money, you know the stuff like a dartboard ockey:D

Doesnt have to be an actual scaffold plank, you could use a joist or simular from a timber yard:)

Loz
10-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Yes sorry I meant the three speed heater fan.

Although....

Today I discovered the fan switch for the Rad fan does not work either. I have changed this on my old clipper so 5.82 and ten minutes later I have that sorted as well.

Black Hammerite throughout the load bay floor and sides. THink that rubber might be a good move!

Will check out ramps at timber yard.... was gonna say "tomorrow" but think I will try and make the GTI Festival. if nothing else, I really want a pair of clear indicators for the front bumper.

Loz