PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk's Matt Black Caddy GTi

RattyRabbit
26-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Hello,

I have found this site, after a chat with a bloke during a visit to Thetford Autoparts.

I am nearly ready to MOT my 1990 Caddy, which has been off the road since October 2003, for a complete overhaul and upgrade of everything bolted to the shell.

My Caddy was in need of alot of work after a harsh six months on the road. It was slammed, RATtle canned matt black, sat on 13" Polo Steelies and was thrashed daily (Driven like it was stolen!).

I used the Caddy the year before as a site vehicle on a small farm after I had found in a local village. It was under a hedge completely covered in green moss and dispite its appearance it came with a folder full of receipts and invoices for everything it had had done to it since it was new.

I had a Mk1 Golf GTi as a donor and robbed it of everything required for the caddy from the gear stick forward. I have used the hubs and brakes off a Corrado G60, as a brake upgrade(overkill?), which gave me disks all round and required using a minimum 15" rim. All the flexy hoses are Braided hoses.
The front legs are Raceland adjustable coilovers which I had on my slammed matt black Jetta GTi which was given a Prohibition Notice PG9 by the Taffic Cops in Suffolk in April this year for basical been too low and too dodgy looking. The seats are electric black leather items from a Granda Scorpio.

The exhurst is Stainless and exits out the back.

I have had to replace the fuel pump and the accumalater, and had braided hoses made to join them up as they were totally rotten and unusable.

Today is the first time that it has been fired up, and I have found that I have now got to replace the steel fuel pipes along the floor pan as the pipes are 22 years old and rotten(Bastard!)

My VW factory 15" alloys have been sent away to a local company to have them polished up. A set of Toyo Proxie 195/45*15 will finish them off nicely.

At the moment I am driving a white 1990 Caddy 1600 as a work horse and have a 1958 Split Screen Bus for crusing.

One of the best things about a slammed Caddy is that a Quad can been driven straight into the back with no problems at all.

I will include pictures very soon I hope.

Keep your Caddys rolling!...:)

mossrite
27-06-2004, 04:17 AM
thats great, you should like a firm believer in caddiness! welcome to the forum. sorry to hear about the rails being rusted[B)]

caddyboy
27-06-2004, 11:23 PM
'58 splittie too! you greedy/lucky b*st*rd!

kevlar
28-06-2004, 02:24 PM
that sounds cool. where in norfolk are you? i'm from just outside norwich!

mikegti
25-02-2006, 04:00 PM
u say thetford autoparts? richard by any chance? im from thetford myself.

bobby_chef
02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi,

There appears to be a few caddys in Norwich now. I'm now the proud owner of a nice little blue one (well, 2 tone primer/blue with a bit of satin black in there for good measure) slowly being made to be more rustless than it was before.

I've seen a few about now. :)

DaniB
04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey,

I'm new to this forum and about to post my own introduction. Your topic caught my eye as it says your in Norwich. I live in Halesworth, but unfortunately have never seen and caddys driving about. :(

It's great to know that there are caddy owners in this region.
Danielle x

caddyboy
04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
There are a few round Norwich i'm sure some of the boys would be happy to help you but watch out for "Kevlar" ;) lol!!

kevlar
04-04-2006, 10:15 PM
There are a few round Norwich i'm sure some of the boys would be happy to help you but watch out for "Kevlar" ;) lol!!

that would be me then ;)

did you go to whitenoise last year? there were a couple of caddys there (one was mine)

bobby_chef
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I didn't get to whitenoise last year. I'm hoping to go to a few shows this year, but the old caddy is a bit slow, so keeping up with convoys should be fun (i'm going to miss my little gti.....)

On the bright side, the caddy is very economical. but sloooooow.

early_911
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm from Fakenham and drive to Norwich each morning. There's two regular caddy's I pass on my way to work . . . one is a young fella and he always give me a wave (burgandy), the other is obviously used commerically (but very well kept - white).

I spotted another the other day - navy blue - gave a wave - near the airport.

Phil

kevlar
10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
911 - whens the next local meet?

early_911
12-04-2006, 09:59 AM
How about this . . . . 2CV 24 hour race at Snetterton 29th - 1st May. . . there's a beer tent 8D

www.pistonfest.com

25 including camping (per person)

Phil

bobby_chef
13-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Phil,

That might be me you saw near the airport, I drive that way several times a day. Was that you I was following on the reepham road the other morning??

early_911
18-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Probably was you . . . I had someone following me the other day, and pretty sure it was Reepham road, I slowed down a little but you turned off.

Mines got a checker board front end with a :8 (but with a 6) on the side . . . can't miss it (apart from behind I suppose).

Cheers
Phil

bobby_chef
18-04-2006, 06:58 PM
That was definately me that was following you. the chequered front is a bit of a giveaway - looks good though. I was trying to catch you but the diesel is slow, especially when the engines cold. - might be time for a TD conversion soon.....

I'd be up for the 2cv meet. sounds like a laugh.

bobby_chef
22-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I met Kevlar and LacrOne of the Matt black caddy clan, he randomly pulled over outside my house. So I thought it rude not to say hello.

It was nice to meet you both.

Its amazing what can be done with a spray can and some masking tape. :)

Did you find the elusive caddy in the end????

kevlar
22-05-2006, 07:27 PM
hello mate! yeah good to meet you on sat

didnt find that caddy we were looking for but went back to the first one and i may be getting another caddy now! just need to convince the guy its not worth anything!