PDA

View Full Version : newbie with question

mikeskates7
25-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi, just found the site tonight and have been reading for about two and a half hours. Good thing I don't have to work in the morning. Anyway I don't have a caddy yet, but have been looking for one for the past couple weeks. I'm trying to be patient. So when were these beautiful machines sold in the U.S.? Other than checking for rust, is there anything else I should watch out for? Anything that you guys are like damn I wish I had checked for that before I bought it? Any advice is much appreciated. Some info about me. . . I'm 25, broke (aren't we all?) and own three automobiles. 1968 M715 (army jeep) 1969 GTO (400 horsepower gas guzzler) and 1991 caprice classic (everyday driver). I'm hoping to sell the GTO and Caprice to make way for a caddy, I can't sell the jeep as its part of the family, ha. Oh, and I live in Maryland, so hopefully when I get one I can find some locals to go cruisin with. OH my biggest question, and in all my reading have yet to find an answer. . . why is it called a caddy?
Thanks,
Mike

DubMonkey
25-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure if anyone knows why exactly but I always thought it was playing on the Golfing term caddy. ie the guy that humps all the heavy stuff in the bag.
So the caddy is a golf that can carry stuff[?]

Anyway welcome to the site dude!

Monkey

caddyboy
25-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Same thought as me! Great minds think alike monkey!

Al
25-05-2004, 06:32 PM
That would be the logical answer:) If you look on your reg doc, it is actually called a "Golf Caddy" !

But I think miseskates7 is asking because in the US they are just called "VW Pickups". To answer your question mike, all "caddys" outside the US were called this, so it would seem that you guys in the States adopted the name:)

Darth Garry
25-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I use "Caddy" here on the forum so you UK dudes have an easier time understanding my lingo. Over here in any conversations I always call it a pickup, or more affectionately... the Truckdoza.

Welcome to the sight. I would recommend when looking at one of these babies, of course rust. Also don't look at it at night, check for bondo, especially if it's been painted. Look at the undercarriage, check the gas tank, see if that's rusty. make sure there's no oil in the coolant, it's running on 4 cylynders etc. Just the normal stuff. But the most important thing is to have a solid body. If the body is solid, you can pretty much repair anything else that needs to be fixed.

Good luck dude!

Garry

Al
25-05-2004, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Darth Garry

Also don't look at it at night, check for bondo.

Good luck dude!

Garry

Its a good job we get American Hotrod on TV here, otherwise that "lingo" would have gone straight over my head:D

DubMonkey
25-05-2004, 11:31 PM

Look at the undercarriage, check for bondo

Good luck dude!

Garry

Is there a subtext in there Garry[?][?][?][?][?]

P4ulo
26-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Yeah man, American Hotrod.
Its turbo tuesday tonight folks, so don't forget to watch H+L!!!!!!

Mmmm - origins of the naming of the caddy?
I like the golf theory, I'm sure its isn't because you can get loads of Tea in the back anyway!!!

mikeskates7
26-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Can somebody tell me what the inside dimensions of the bed are?
Thanks

Diesel
27-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Pretty small by american truck standards, but surprisingly useful. I don't know off the top of my head, but can measure sometime tomorrow. I'd guess something like 5.5'x4' or so.

Diesel
27-05-2004, 08:27 AM
OK, so it was eating at me that I didn't know, so I went out in the rain and measured: 4'4" by 5'9.5"(6' if you go to below the bulkhead under the rear window.) Guess I underestimated the little guy. Hope this helps. I like the golf caddy explination of the name, too. Whenever I try to tell someone here that they're called caddys across the pond, they always laugh! Caddys are very large american luxury sedans and convertibles here. I hear they're getting sportier. Something about all their customers dying from old age, or something.

mikeskates7
27-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Yeah my mom was like you mean a cadillac? I was like nooooo. Ha. Ok, Thanks for measuring, now the real question, is the 4'4" to the fender wells or to the inside edge of the bed? Like does a sheet of plywood fit between the fenderwells or sit on top?
Thanks
Mike

vwcaddydiesel
27-05-2004, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by mikeskates7

Hi, just found the site tonight and have been reading for about two and a half hours. Good thing I don't have to work in the morning. Anyway I don't have a caddy yet, but have been looking for one for the past couple weeks. I'm trying to be patient. So when were these beautiful machines sold in the U.S.? Other than checking for rust, is there anything else I should watch out for? Anything that you guys are like damn I wish I had checked for that before I bought it? Any advice is much appreciated. Some info about me. . . I'm 25, broke (aren't we all?) and own three automobiles. 1968 M715 (army jeep) 1969 GTO (400 horsepower gas guzzler) and 1991 caprice classic (everyday driver). I'm hoping to sell the GTO and Caprice to make way for a caddy, I can't sell the jeep as its part of the family, ha. Oh, and I live in Maryland, so hopefully when I get one I can find some locals to go cruisin with. OH my biggest question, and in all my reading have yet to find an answer. . . why is it called a caddy?
Thanks,
Mike

Darth Garry
28-05-2004, 02:32 AM
I know this much, I'm 6' tall, and when I try to sleep in the back with the tailgate closed, my head just touches the bulkhead and my feet touch the tailgate flat when I'm stretched out. Really Annoying. It's one of those moments that I wish VW made a Caddy with an 8' box on it. That being said, if we're not in a restarea or something, I usually leave the tailgate down when sleeping in the back so my stinky feet can hang out!

Garry

Woobn8r
28-05-2004, 08:48 AM
[quote

I wish VW made a Caddy with an 8' box on it.
Garry
[/quote]

I would think this group is up for an 8' box. I've seen tougher mods here already...Garry be the first on your block...lol

Sean

Darth Garry
28-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm not putting a torch to the Truckdoza. Besides, then I'd need a new cap!

Garry

keny
03-06-2004, 06:01 PM

I know this much, I'm 6' tall, and when I try to sleep in the back with the tailgate closed, my head just touches the bulkhead and my feet touch the tailgate flat when I'm stretched out. Really Annoying. It's one of those moments that I wish VW made a Caddy with an 8' box on it. That being said, if we're not in a restarea or something, I usually leave the tailgate down when sleeping in the back so my stinky feet can hang out!

Garry

You know Garry here in Finland where i live all caddys have a bed thats 7cm longer:D than the rest of the world. This is cos at the time caddys where build and imported here there was a law saying the minimun length of a bed of a pickup, and the caddy was 7cm short, so volkswagen in finland lengthed all imported caddys, its lenghted in the end of the bed.[:o)]

Darth Garry
03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Hmm, how much to ship me one!

Garry

Diesel
04-06-2004, 04:49 AM
That's cool! I want one.

mossrite
04-06-2004, 04:56 AM
thats an interesting, odd-ball fact that everyone should know!

keny
04-06-2004, 12:23 PM

Hmm, how much to ship me one!

Garry

[:o)]well all caddys here in finland (as other cars) have some rust problem do to serius salt use 4-5 month of the year, so not worth shipping (I did nearly 3 months of rust repair on my! got it cheap thru). But if you do get serius I have a extra pair of the side lengtning plates (betwen side and taillight holder, bolt on ones) the rest is just welded in metall sheets in the end of the bed...[8D]

JDJames
28-06-2004, 01:05 AM
why doesnt somebody make a shortened caddy with maybe a 2" bed just enough room to slide a biro in!

P4ulo
29-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Hey, I was gonna do that!!!
But, you'd have to do something different with the rear axle, there'd be no room for the leaf springs if you did it!!!!
So, the only thing holding me back is; Money, time, brain power and I can't weld, prep or paint.
Maybe oneday, after a whole load of night school sessions!!!!!