PDA

View Full Version : We must be breeding.

Jon Boy
17-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi all, new here too.

I've just bought a pretty clean 1.6 petrol caddy on a G plate. A rotting MKII GTi with good engine is arriving from a mate at work this weekend. I've got the supersport coilovers on order from Venom. Let the tinkerring begin!

Three days after I bought the cars I got notice served on our rented house! New project deadline 8th June, hope I'm in the right place for good advise!!!

P4ulo
18-04-2004, 04:19 AM
You got it Jonboy.
What plans ya got, we can help ya mate!!

Jon Boy
18-04-2004, 04:49 PM
I've already cut out and replaced the worst of the rot in the bed. Waiting for better weather (& maybe the loan of a spot welder) before I rip up the whole thing and replace with a new sheet - assuming VW won't supply one at a sensible price?

Immediately I'm after getting the thing down, and putting the MKII GTi brakes up front, along with the alloys and seats. The other thing I want to do sharpish is get the 5 speed GTi 'box in, as I only have a 4 speed unit, and a 400 mile a week commute.

Longer term I'd like to strip down the 8V engine and get that in. I know there are better engine swaps around, but I used to have a lightly modded MKII Scirrocco and I thought that was quick, so I'm guessing it would make a fairly quick daily driver.

One thing which is bugging me is where to buy reasonably priced insurance for a modified commercial vehicle which isn't a second car.

P4ulo
18-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Check out this post about Insurance;

http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1708

Yep, a caddy with a 8v gti engine in certainly would be brisk.

Sounds like you got it all sorted out, its all stuff that people have done on here before, so make sure you search for keywords before asking questions.....

I put a pair of seats form a polo coupe in mine, went in ok, a little bit of brute force needed to bend the bottom of the seats into the right shape, but now they are fine!!!

Crack on son, take loads of photos....