PDA

View Full Version : moving rear wall back a few inches...

Weaver
23-05-2003, 04:01 AM
i'm 6'3" and my car is just to cramped for my driving style. i wanna cut out the whole section under the rear window, and just weld in a flat panel flush with the lower edge of the window, going straight down. oughta give me a few more inches tto scoot the seats back, which is MORE the welcome. my question is, what kinda metal, i.e. thickness, exact kind, etc. would be best to use to retain stock or better rigidity? i think thats pretty much my only question on the process, other then that it seems to be pretty straightforward.

tia [:X]

gocaddygo
28-05-2003, 04:31 AM
If you could find a donor truck, would it be possible to cut out the 2 or 3 inches between the door and back, and kind of insert into the host truck? Kind of an extended cab, right?

P4ulo
28-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Weaver,

good idea. I looked at doing this myself at one time, but as I can't weld I didn't bother!!!:(
This should be a relatively straight forward way of giving yourself a few inches!!![:I][:0][:X]
I have seen stuff on some german websites where they weld in sections from 3 door mk 1 gti's so they can put on the bigger doors, but this seems to be alot of work.
Also, unless you were the don of welding, this method could quite seriously undermine the rigidity of the cab?![:0][:0]

Go for it fella, I'm sure any grade of steel should give you back the structural rigidity if done properly.

Ciao, P4ulo.

Darth Garry
28-05-2003, 03:57 PM
The stuff that the wall is made out of seems pretty thin, so you could probably get away with just about anything. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but if I do it I want to figure out how to move the whole window assembly back - so I can move the seat back and still recline it. Or weld in some type of structure and just leave the back wall empty, and put my super-cap on it, so it's like a van almost. I don't know, I'll figure it out one of these days.

That would be cool though, you could weld in some supports, and make a rag-back!

Garry

Garry

Weaver
28-05-2003, 11:59 PM
well first off i cringe when i see people making these trucks "extended cabs". props for originality, but i can't stand the look. thats why i'm keeping the window in the exact same spot, just cutting out the wall under it as it seems to slope INto the cabin, rather then straight down. i'll gain space and it'll look stock. i don't run headrests, so the tops of my seats come up to just under the window. so a few inches would make a pretty big difference for me. PLUS, i got rust under the rear window on the outside, a sizeable portion too. about a 4" circle thats gone through the uupper layer of metal, so i gotta do some welding here anyways, might as well do something creative :)

but yeah, i've never welded, but i figure it can't really be to hard, i catch on quick.

Al
29-05-2003, 01:28 AM
Weaver

I guess you going to MIG weld??? Its quite easy with practice, the better quality the MIG the easier it is to weld thinner metals (makes sence realy), good luck and keep us all informed

Al

gocaddygo
30-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Didn't mean to make you cringe I've never actually seen it done (thought I was stating the obvious). Is it head or leg room your looking for. Has anyone ever moved pedals, thereby keeping the stock body look?

Weaver
30-05-2003, 04:24 AM
maybe cringe was to drastic of a word to use, i just really don't like the look of extended cab caddys ;)

head rooms fine, i just want more arm to steering wheel length mainly, the leg room i can deal with, but a little more of that would be nice too. i'll prolly get some thin backed bucket seats as well to squeeze a bit more space out of it.

gocaddygo
31-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Fibgerglass seats will likely give you the room you need, (heated, I'm on the east coast) and easier than adjusting the body.

Last I saw of the pics of your truck you had a stock vw type steering wheel, does that have an extension adapter in it?

idea:
Find a way to have a more flush mount (so to speak) steering wheel adjust the turn signal and wiper levers if need instead of a major body mod, much less intrusive.

Darth Garry
03-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Now that you mention it, an extended cab caddy starts to look like a Chevy Avalanche - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Garry