PDA

View Full Version : Petrol - Diesel Fuel Tank

cookster
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Will a 1.6td motor out of a passat run using a petrol fuel tank out of the 1.6 petrol caddy?

Iv'e read before you need to change them if going from diesel to petrol but not sure the other way around

Cheers, Joe

art1234
08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
When Looking At Them Close Together, There Looks To Be No Difference Between Them Unless It Is Internal

cookster
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
yeah, thought the internals may be different but i know you have to change when converting from diesel to petrol.

Is it because the diesel doesnt have a lift pump and the petrol does, ive never took to much notice to be honest, its for a mate of mine whos wrote off his truck and is swapping all his running gear into a nice new shell, which was a petrol.

Trouble is he has sent his old diesel to the scrapper without removing the tank if it is needed!

CADDY-SPORT
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
As far as I know they are the same. You just have to make sure it's cleaned out properly. The lift pump is seperate from the tank.

Cheers

Iowa Caddy
08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
...Iv'e read before you need to change them if going from diesel to petrol but not sure the other way around...
but i know you have to change when converting from diesel to petrol...Because of UK law??? :i_dont_kn There is no difference between the tanks. As for "cleaned out properly" -- of course, if you've got the tank out, pour out the rocks the neighbor's kids have thoughtfully contributed. But there is no need to soap, swab, steam-clean, etc. to get out all remaining residue. With only a coupla' exceptions, slight cross-contamination of fuels will cause no harm. 10% diesel in petrol engine will smoke profusely and have less power but will not harm engine unless you hammer it to point of excessive pre-ignition. Some exceptions: "High" %-age diesel in petrol could terminally destroy cat convertors. And I would be hesitant to run a 90/10% diesel/petrol mix through a TDI. Do either of these apply to your mate?

When Looking At Them Close Together, There Looks To Be No Difference Between Them Unless It Is InternalaRT -- iS tHERE aNY cHANCE tHAT yOU cOULD rEPAIR yOUR cOMPUTER sO tHAT iT dOESN'T cAPITALIZE tHE fIRST lETTER oF eVERY wORD? iT mAKES mE cROSS-eYED. Thanks. :td

art1234
08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Because of UK law??? :i_dont_kn There is no difference between the tanks. As for "cleaned out properly" -- of course, if you've got the tank out, pour out the rocks the neighbor's kids have thoughtfully contributed. But there is no need to soap, swab, steam-clean, etc. to get out all remaining residue. With only a coupla' exceptions, slight cross-contamination of fuels will cause no harm. 10% diesel in petrol engine will smoke profusely and have less power but will not harm engine unless you hammer it to point of excessive pre-ignition. Some exceptions: "High" %-age diesel in petrol could terminally destroy cat convertors. And I would be hesitant to run a 90/10% diesel/petrol mix through a TDI. Do either of these apply to your mate?

aRT -- iS tHERE aNY cHANCE tHAT yOU cOULD rEPAIR yOUR cOMPUTER sO tHAT iT dOESN'T cAPITALIZE tHE fIRST lETTER oF eVERY wORD? iT mAKES mE cROSS-eYED. Thanks. :td
didnt notice that!!!!!!!!! f-----g computers